Recently I have decided I want to try to do at least one random act of kindness every day. I started this week and I’m having some trouble with it. Being kind isn’t a problem (for the most part), but trying to find something to do that can be considered a random act of kindness is tricky. It is not as easy as it sounds, at least for me… Some of the things I have done and will do probably shouldn’t be considered as a “random act of kindness,” but I got to start somewhere.
I feel like there is sooo much selfishness and negativity in people these days (myself included) and I’m hoping this will help put things in perspective. I’m not trying to get up on a soapbox and preach to people here, but I do hope the right people will read this and understand why I feel this is necessary for people to think about and do. The way I see it, it can only make the world better.
Here are the things I have done this past week:
1. Made a conscious effort to be nice to someone I really can’t stand and who gives me the creeps. For anyone who knows me, knows that I have difficulty being nice to those I dislike. I always thought it was being fake, but a wise lady recently asked me “Is it fake, or is it being civil?” Sooo….I’m a work in progress on this one, and I’m trying to be civil and realize that everyone has their own story of why they are the way they are.
2. When I go to supermarkets I have been taking a shopping cart randomly left in the parking lot that was not placed in the proper cart return and bringing it inside. Yesterday, I removed one that was directly behind an old lady’s car. A say old lady because it was a Oldsmobile and I think only old people drive those. I mean… seriously….it has the word “old” in it.
3. I recycled a bunch of papers that would have been quicker and easier for me to just toss in the trash….this isn’t an act of kindness, it is something everyone should do, but…I’m counting it, so deal with it, yo.
4. I left some precious penny pincher coupons on the grocery store shelf for some lucky soul to find and save a gazillion dollar bills.
5. Once again at the store (I go too much, maybe that’s why I’m so po…hmmmm), I could have parked in a prime front row spot, but I passed it by and left it for some other person to find and be excited about.
That’s about all I got right now. I’m going to try to keep this one updated, in fact, I’m going to make it it’s own page own my blog. Right next to “Instant Karma” If anyone has some good ideas of what I could do to continue this I would much appreciate it! Consider it your own daily act of kindness!